New Oxford

122 North Peter Street New Oxford, PA 17350
phone: (717) 624-2182

http://www.facebook.com/NewOxfordAreaLibrary

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Communicating..................



Communicating at the New Oxford Area Library


           The staff at the New Oxford Area Library, a branch of the Adams County Library System,  have been taking classes and practicing to read on a Nook or Kindle with the library’s eBook collection. Personally, I do prefer reading an old fashioned book to an eBook, but I did read a book on my laptop.  It was nice not having to hold a heavy book of about 400 pages, and the fact that I could adjust the font to a larger or smaller size as needed was great. I read a lot of different kinds of books so I did not have any trouble finding a book to download and read. I have had staff and patrons show me their Nooks or Kindles and they love the eBooks at the library.
I am also learning and teaching many of our patrons how to use their new laptops. I really like the “Dummies” books for computers, they are so easy to use and the screenshots found within are so helpful.
           With more of the world becoming so tech-oriented, communication is very important for the library.  We have just started a Facebook page for the New Oxford Area Library, and several summers ago we started our first blog. I am getting better at posting and I am excited about the new ways to share our program information. I continue to print flyers and handouts but now I send a note to both the Blog and the Facebook accounts and it is reaching more people. Feel free to respond and let me know how I am doing with my posts.
           Even though we’re promoting programs online, writing a newspaper article is my first way to talk about the library.  Word of mouth also never goes out of style.  Here are a few of our upcoming programs:
            “Kindergarten Here I Come” is scheduled on Thursdays at 11:00 AM throughout the year. No registration is necessary.
           KPETS Dogs Meeko and Cullen and their therapy dog friends are scheduled on a Monday afternoon at 3:30PM and a Thursday Evening at 6:30PM each month, please call, or read our Facebook or Blog for the schedule.
           Our computer classes are the second Thursday  of each month at 1:00PM. The March class will be Introduction to Windows. Other basic classes are scheduled as needed. Call the library to register.
The Readers’ Forum - an Adult Book Discussion Group meets on the Second Thursday morning of each month at 9:00AM. The next book to be discussed will be “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins.
           Our hours are Monday and Thursday 2PM-8PM; Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 11AM-5PM; Saturday 10AM-4PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment